Guernsey Career Advice
INTERVIEW DOS AND DON'TS
- Turn off your mobile phones before the interview
- Try and get as much information as you can with regard to the Company and the position. Look at the company website if they have one.
- Think of any questions you would like to ask the person interviewing you with regard to the Company or position. You can write them down and take them into the interview with you in note form.
- Smile and offer a firm handshake when you meet the person interviewing you – practice before you go with friends/family.
- Wait until you are offered a chair before sitting. Sit upright in your chair and look alert and interested at all time. Body language accounts for 70% of what you ‘say’.
- Remove facial piercings, lip/nose/eyebrow/tongue studs etc for interview. Ear piercings are fine but no more than one earring/stud in each ear.
- Always try to maintain eye contact with the interviewer - if there is more than one person try to include both when talking.
- Dress appropriately for any interview - shirt, tie and jacket for men and smart top and trousers/skirt for women.
- Smoke before the interview
- Wear scruffy or dirty clothes/shoes or leave your hair down if it’s long.
- Wear too much make up.
- Discuss salary and benefits package on your first interview unless the interviewer brings the subject up.
- Ask about their notice period/sickness benefit – it doesn’t show commitment if you are asking this before you are even offered the position. It gives the wrong impression and causes alarm bells to ring for the interviewer.
- ‘Bad mouth’ your current/any previous employer.
- Worry about pausing to think about a question before you answer.
- ‘Over answer’ questions and bore the interviewer.
- Lie about any information you give the interviewer, especially regarding qualifications or salary. Companies check last salary as part of their reference checks.
Always try to make a good first impression as people usually make up their mind about a person within the first 30 seconds of meeting them.
- Leapfrog Payroll Services
- Email Newsletter